Last week, I told you about two treatments your alternative doctor may use to treat prostate cancer. However, many men don’t have a cancer diagnosis, but their PSA scores are going through the roof. Fortunately, there are specific nutrients your doctor can use to lower your PSA.
Dr. Frank Shallenberger, editor of Real Cures newsletter, treats prostate problems regularly. He has found these problems especially responsive to alternative treatments. These are some of the nutrients he uses:
* DES (diethylstilbesterol) – One study out of the University of California, San Francisco, said DES can lower PSA scores by 50-80%. Dr. Shallenberger has had tremendous success (about an 80% success rate) with low-dose DES. “In fact,” he says, “the single best treatment I’ve ever used to successfully treat the prostate is DES.” He usually starts out with about 0.1 mg per day, then increases the dosage to as high as 1 mg a day if necessary. Your alternative doctor can help you find and use DES effectively.
* Melatonin – If your PSA score is high, melatonin can help. A Chinese study treated a patient with rising PSA levels. They used 5 mg a day of melatonin (at 8:00 p.m.). The treatment stabilized his PSA levels. Dr. Shallenberger recommends you take 3 mg of melatonin daily.
* Di-indole methane (DIM) – You may have heard that eating a generous helping of cruciferous vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and asparagus – are potent prostate-disease fighters. And that’s because of the amount of DIM these foods contain.
* Quercetin – Quercetin is a potent anti-inflammatory. I mentioned last week that the PSA test is a direct measure of inflammation. In one study, scientists said quercetin and the common BPH drug finasteride lowered prostate weight by 31.8% to 48.2%. These results were significantly better than finasteride by itself.
* Lycopene – Lycopene is the pigment that gives tomatoes their bright red color. Many studies have shown lycopene to promote prostate health. One study from the journal Future Oncology said it can help prevent prostate disease from becoming cancerous. The researchers said, “Its unique structural and biologic properties enable lycopene to prevent free-radical damage to cells caused by reactive oxygen species, thus acting as a potent antioxidant.” Lycopene is vital for the health of your prostate.
* Saw Palmetto – I’m sure you’ve heard all about saw palmetto as an effective treatment for the prostate. It contains powerful phytoestrogens, which curb dangerous estrogens. Studies also show it can reduce high PSA scores by up
to 75%! It also helps men reduce symptoms of enlarged prostate.
* Zinc – Scientists don’t know exactly why or how zinc works on the prostate ... only that it does. And clinical trials show that men with prostate problems have a significant deficiency of zinc when compared to other, healthy males.
You can find many of these nutrients in Advanced Prostate Formula. This formula also has other nutrients that normalize prostate function. What’s particularly unique about this formula is the amount of DIM and lycopene it contains. These are especially difficult to find in the right dose in other products. Each tablet has 100 mg of DIM and 10 mg of lycopene.
To keep your prostate healthy, you’ll need to take the melatonin and Advanced Prostate Formula for the rest of your life. In fact, men over the age of 50 should do this whether they have prostate problems or not. Both are great for general prostate health. You can find melatonin in any grocery or health food store. Advanced Prostate Formula is available by following this link.
Your insider for better health,
Steve Kroening is the editor of Nutrient Insider, a twice-a-week email newsletter that brings you the latest healing breakthroughs from the world of nutrition and dietary supplements. For over 20 years, Steve has worked hand-in-hand with some of the nation's top doctors, including Drs. Robert Rowen, Frank Shallenberger, Nan Fuchs, William Campbell Douglass, and best-selling author James Balch. Steve is the author of the book Practical Guide to Home Remedies. As a health journalist, Steve's articles have appeared in countless magazines, blogs, and websites.
http://www.realcuresletter.com; Future Oncology, June 2005, vol. 1, no. 3, pages 425-430 , DOI 10.1517/147966188.8.131.525, (doi:10.1517/147966184.108.40.2065);
Insulin’s Evil Twin
This overlooked hormone might be the real reason you still struggle with out-of-control blood sugar. But most doctors (even alternative doctors) ignore it completely.
Click Here To Learn More
http://www.psa-rising.com/medicalpike/pcspes/ucsfoct2000.shtml; Ma Z et al. Reduction of rat prostate weight by combined quercetin-finasteride treatment is associated with cell cycle deregulation. J Endocrinol 2004 Jun; 181(3): 493-507.